Friday, December 23, 2016

Johannes Broheim - Warhammer: Invasion

"I'm on a griffin! I'm on a griffin!"
I've covered several other cards with impressive mounts, so it only feels fair that I cover the guy riding the griffin. I love the art, though the background does suffer from being barely comprehensible, but it does have a neat lighting effect. Johannes's beard helps give him a veteran status, which helps with the problem Urguck had of not feeling that much higher in rank. I also love the war banner and the tassels pinned to griffin's lapel.

The one point of confusion I have is the long, stick-like object shown to the right of the griffin. To me it looks like a massive longbow, but it doesn't look attached to the griffin or to the ground. It just seems to be hovering in place. I like the effect it creates. The bow adds a greater sense of aimed direction, plus it makes the whole unit feel like the quiver of some massive weapon. I'm just still not sure what it actually is or where it exists in terms of this scene.

For rules text, you have the Hero clause again, followed by counterstrike, sans reminder text. Since this was a core set, they made sure to put reminder text on most of the cards, but there were a few exceptions, seemingly due to spacing. What counterstrike amounts to is when the unit defends an attack, it immediately deals counterstrike damage to the attacking parties. What I like most though is the final ability. In the Core Set, Warhammer didn't have a keyworded flying mechanic. Still, there are some units like Johannes who can obviously fly. I feel the final ability helps capture the feeling of flight, as it lets your unit move around very easily. And since this guy is a Hero, meaning he has the Hero limit, this makes the ability even more useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment