Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ordeal of Purphoros - Magic the Gathering

THIS... IS... THEROS!
Remember the Expedition cycle from Zendikar. This reminds me of it a lot, an enchantment you accumulate three counters for it to go off, unless you enchant it to a monstrous creature or something with more counters on it, in which case you can sac it the turn you play. I am fairly positive this is a cycle, the naming alone suggests its a cycle. It's not a cycle I'm particularly excited about, and its a cycle I doubt will see constructed play. It feels really complicated, and the ability forces you to sack it. I would have preferred an optional sack, that way you can keep it on to add even more counters. Predictions. Blue one will draw cards. Green one will fetch a land, probably Rampant Growth style. We'll see.

Concept wise, I like the idea of the card. Heroes go on epic journeys that make them stronger. That's part of why it reminds me of the Expeditions, it's another attempt at quest cards. The execution again though isn't exciting. I understand why this is set up the way it is though. Heroes need to fight monsters on their journeys, so the card makes you attack. And the sack ability also encourages you to take up the quest, since it rewards you in the end. Despite all that that flavor, I still don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment